On August 27, 2020, Health Minister Adrian Dix announced the final recommendations in a report delivered by an all-party Steering Committee for changes to the province’s health profession regulatory system.
The report, Recommendations to modernize the provincial health profession regulatory framework, has implications for all health profession regulatory colleges in BC.
Summary of the recommendations:
The report describes a number of specific recommendations for modernization within the following key areas:
- Commitment to cultural safety and humility
- Improved governance
- Improved efficiency and effectiveness through a reduction in the number of regulatory colleges
- Strengthening the oversight of regulatory colleges
- Complaints and adjudication
- Information sharing to improve patient safety and public trust
The next step will be for the College board to review the document, and the recommendations it has brought forward. The College is unaware of the exact timeline associated with the changes to the health profession regulatory system here in BC. We will continue to advise registrants of new information as it arises.Return to News